Geek Grrl and A Rainy Thursday
This morning was overcast and damp from the pouring rain that blew through the Bay at 5am. I was one of the first at the gate to await the ferry and guess who was right in front of me? Geek Grrl from “Young Geeks in Love”. Her counterpart was no where to be seen. I tried to find the right words to approach her so I would not look like a stalker. I seized on her backpack, decorated with Rockband patches as a conversation starter.
“You like Rock Band?”
“Yeah I love it!”
“I put the patches in order of how good I am at them.” (Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Drums)
“OMG, me too! I sooo suck at drums!”
Thus began a cool conversation with the object of my blogging obsession of the past 2 weeks. I found out the following in our geeky chat as we related stories of shipping deadlines, PC games and travel for each other:
* she is a game designer
* her husband is a game engineer
* her brother in law is a game designer
* her sister is a graphic artist for games
* she loves BioShock, Rock Band and tons of other cool games
* she is leaving for a weeks vacation next week to go back East and spend some time with her Mom
* her husband is on a business trip (no trouble in paradise – YAY!)
* she knows what it is like to “work hard, play hard”, be chained to a desk with a ship deadline and then get weeks of comp time to make up for it. I told her about sliding flat food under the door to the engineers at AOL.
She was so nice, chipper and up beat. I had my questions answered but now I just have .. MORE QUESTIONS. How did she meet her husbnad, does she have pets, what kind, what is her view on pocket dogs, are they hiring where she works, can I clean out her cube for her – you know.. the usual stuff. I hope I see her tomorrow. It would make for a good end to the week and maybe she will wear her cool flame shoes.